Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Top 10 Reasons to See a Neuropsychologist

If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, please contact our office for consultation


1.) ATTENTION AND CONCENTRATION Highly distractibleLose my train of thought easilyBecome easily confused and disorientedBlackout spells (fainting)My mind goes blankAura (strange feelings)Don’t feel very alert or aware of things Other concentration or awareness problems


2.) MEMORY Forgetting where I leave things (e.g., keys, gloves, etc.) Forgetting names Forgetting what I should be doing Forgetting where I am or where I am going Forgetting events that happened quite recently (e.g., my last meal) Need someone to give me a hint so I can remember things Relying more and more on notes to remember how to do things Forgetting how to do things, but I can remember facts Forgetting faces of people I know (when they are not present) Frequently forgetting appointments Other memory problems.


3) DIFFICULTY SOLVING EVERYDAY PROBLEMS Difficulty figuring out how to do new things Difficulty planning ahead Difficulty figuring out problems that most other people can do Difficulty thinking as quickly as needed Difficulty doing things in the right order (sequence problems) Difficulty verbally describing the steps involved in doing something Difficulty changing a plan or activity in a reasonable amount of time Difficulty completing an activity in a reasonable amount of time Difficulty doing more than one this at a time Difficulty switching from one activity to another activity Easily frustrated Other problem solving difficulties:


4.) SPEECH, LANGUAGE, AND MATH SKILLS Difficulty finding the right word to say Difficulty understanding what others are saying Unable to speak Difficulty staying with one idea Difficulty writing letters or words (not due to motor problems) Slurred Speech Odd or unusual speech sound Difficulty with math (e.g., checkbook balancing, making change, etc.) Difficulty understanding what I read Difficulty speaking Other speech, language, or math problems:


5.) NONVERBAL SKILLS Difficulty telling right from left Difficulty doing things I should automatically be able to do (e.g., brushing teeth, etc.) Problem drawing or copying Difficulty dressing (not due to physical difficulty) Problems finding my way around places I’ve been to before Difficulty recognizing objects or people Parts of my body do not seem as if they belong to me Unaware of time (e.g., time of day, season, year) Slow reaction to timeOther nonverbal problems


6.) MOTOR AND COORDINATION Fine motor control problems (e.g., using a pencil, key, etc.) Weakness on one side of my body Difficulty holding onto things Tremor or shakiness Muscle tick or strange movements My writing is very small My writing is very large Walking more slowly than other people Feeling stiff Balance problems Difficulty starting to move Jerky muscles Muscles tire quickly Often bumping into things Other motor or coordination problems.


7.) SENSORY Loss of feeling or numbnessTingling or strange skin sensationsDifficulty telling hot from coldProblems seeing on one sideBlurred visionBlank spots in visionBrief periods of blindnessSee “stars” or flashes of lightDouble visionDifficulty looking quickly from one object to another object Need to squint or move closer to see clearly Losing hearing Ringing in my ears or hearing strange sounds Difficulty tasting food Difficulty smelling Smelling strange odors Other sensory problems.

8.PHYSICALHeadachesDizzinessNausea or vomitingUrinary incontinenceLoss of bowel controlExcessive tirednessSensitivity to bright lightsSensitivity to loud noisesOther physical problems.

9.) MOOD/EMOTION Sadness or depressionAnxiety or nervousness StressSleeping problems: (Falling Asleep, Staying Asleep) Become more angry easily Euphoria (feeling on top of the world) Much more emotional (e.g., cry more easily) Feel as if I just don’t care anymore

10.) BEHAVIORS Doing things automatically (without awareness) Less inhibited (to do things I would not do before) Difficulty being spontaneousChange in eating habitsChange in interest in sexLoss of energyIncrease of energyExperiencing nightmares on a daily/weekly basis Loss of sexual desire Increase in weight, Loss of weight Lack of interest in pleasurable activities Increase in irritability Increase in aggression Other recent changes in behavior or personality.

If you or your family is experiencing any of these symptoms, we invite you to call our office for consultation. Call (949) 481-8414

No comments: